looking for something?

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Swedish Meatballs and Sour Cream Brown Gravy

So, I'm not a fan of frozen meatballs and gravy.  It just doesn't do anything for my taste buds!  That being said, this week, I set out to buy groceries for a full 2 week menu.  We are currently working through a stash of ground pork and ground deer meat so I tried to use them as best I could.
I decided on the following meals:
Swedish Meatballs
Grilled stuffed burrtios
Tacos
Shepherd's Pie
Smothered Crock Pot Pork Chops
Salmon Packets
Lasagna
Porcupines
Grilled marinated Chicken Breasts
Chicken Spaghetti
King ranch Chicken

So let me start with the first!

Swedish Meatballs with Sour Cream Brown Gravy
This wasn't a complete success, so the items in bold are what I would do when I make them again.
I didn't add the onion for the sake of laziness and time.  I used the onion powder instead.  Definitely take the extra 5 min, if you've got it.


1 Lb of ground pork sausage or beef (or a combination of the two)
2 slices fresh bread
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 medium onion, diced small
3 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp allspice
S & P
2 egg yolks
Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 300 - spray cooking spray lightly on a flat sheet pan/cake pan/whatever you've got!
In a small bowl, pour milk over bread and let sit to soften
Melt butter in a small sautee pan, add onions and sweat until clear/soft.Combine ground meat, mushy bread, bread crumbs, flour, spices, cooked onion, egg yolks and stir/mush/mix until all items are consistant.
Form into 1 1/2" meatballs
Sautee on medium browning each sideTransfer to greased pan and bake 30-45 min or until internal temp is 165+

Sour Cream Brown Gravy

No detailed recipe here - I prepared a brown gravy (from a package) and added 1/4c. of sour cream and wisked until smooth!


I served over No Yolk noodles and even baby A thought they were great!! 
semi-success!

i was born to cook

No comments:

Post a Comment