looking for something?

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Deer Backstrap Crock Pot Roast

Well, I've spent the last few weeks transitioning into a new, blessed journey.  I am a happy SAHM and a domestice goddess.  I am striving to keep warm meals on the table for my little family while staying SUPER busy with my crew.  I cannot express exactly how thankful I am to be at home with my girl, but God continues to take care of our family and He provides abundantly.

So, I had little inspiration this morning and am doing my best to use up all the meat and random side dish items in our freezers and pantry.  I started this process with a pantry clean-out!  I found a few things that needed to be trashed and a few more to use up quickly.  In our freezer, we are blessed to have TONS of meat from this past hunting season.  Someone gave us the majority of a deer; my husband processed it and it's been hanging out in the big freezer. 


2 lbs frozen backstrap
1 pkg brown gravy mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2c water or beef broth (I don't generally keep broths in my house so I go with water!)
S & P

I placed the frozen backstrap in my crockpot, mixed the rest of the ingredients and poured over. 
Feel free to add more liquid and throw in carrots, potatoes, or celery for a traditional roast and tater type dish.  I will be making scalloped potatoes (from the pantry!) and steamed broccoli as our sides. 

It's in the crockpot now, if it turns out terrible, I'll be sure to update!!

i was born to cook, and to be a mother

6 comments:

  1. After 3 hours on low, the backstrap is tender and cooked all the way through - it smells fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to give this a try. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be sure to cook low and slow!
    Iwasborntocook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi , I'm trying this today. With it being frozen, it only took 3 hours on low??

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would err on the side of longer ... It's been so long and my backstrap was quite thin! No more deer in the freezer. :( good luck!! Ready to restock the freezer this fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would err on the side of longer ... It's been so long and my backstrap was quite thin! No more deer in the freezer. :( good luck!! Ready to restock the freezer this fall!!

    ReplyDelete